10 Songs for The Discouraged Heart
When I think of sad songs, I think of a few Psalms of David that I've read: “Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior and my God!” Psalm 42:11 NLT
When I'm feelin' down, I'll tell ya, I typically need some music to lift my mood. Music always seems to do that for me. Just me? Doubt it!
Bad advice: Listen to Taylor Swift break-up songs when you're sad.
Solid advice: Listen to the following songs when your heart is discouraged.
I'll include my favorite lyrics from each song. Enjoy!
1. A Prayer- Kings Kaleidoscope
I'd be embarrassed if anyone saw the play-count I have for this song. It's in the high 400s. Not kidding. This song is carved on my heart. Favorite.
I’m right beside you!
I feel what you feel!
And I’m here to hold you
When death is too real!
You know, I died, too!
I was terrified!
I gave myself for you!
I was crucified
Because I love you!
I love you, child!
I love you!
2. 139- Kings Kaleidoscope
This rendition of Psalm 139 makes my heart fill up all the way to the top.
You heard my first heartbeat before I could breathe
Before my first cry, You knew me
You knit me together when I was conceived
When I was designed, You knew me
3. The Garden- Kari JobeThis song was engrained in my heart after experiencing a miscarriage this past year.
4. All He Says I Am- Cody CarnesYou guys ever forget who God says you are? Who and what He calls you? Maybe some insecurities or doubts creep in. Just me? Well, this song is a sweet, sweet reminder.
5. To Those Who Wait- Bethany DillonI've always loved Bethany Dillon's music but this song is by far, my favorite. Somehow these lyrics always meets me precisely where I am. Also, it helps that I'm naturally terribly at being patient and waiting, so it's a great reminder for my heart.
Lord, today You know what I need to do,
But You can do more in my waiting than in my doing I could do.
So I won’t run anymore.
I’m waiting on You.
6. In Christ Alone- Sung by Lauren DaigleNo guilt in life, no fear in death—
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.
7. Oh God- Dustin Kensrue
O God, you never leave my side
Your love stands firm through all my life In my searching,
O God, you're near In my wandering,
O God, you're near When I feel alone,
O God, you're near At my lowest,
O God you're near
8. You're Not Alone- Saosin
there is more to this
I know You can make it out
You will live to tell
9. It Is Well (Portrait Remix)- David Dunn
When oppression and depression
Have their way with me
When the hurting and the healing feel the same
When the sadness overwhelms us
And troubled water rises
When the reason for my bleeding don't make sense
And I'm not, I'm not in control
When my world comes crashing down around my head
And I, I feel like I got nothing left
Oh, Oh, I'm not in control oh oh
But it is well with my soul
10. You're Gonna Be Okay- Brian and Jenn Johnson from BethelI know it's all you've got to just, be strong
And it's a fight just to keep it together, together
I know you think, that you are too far gone
But hope is never lost
Hope is never lost