Whether you're someone who has endured unimaginable loss, or you love someone who has, this is an intentional gift to nurture a grieving mama's heart. This care package is a meaningful way to offer hope and encouragement while meeting a tangible need such as self-care as well as some much-needed soul-care.
Grief Care Package Items:
~4 oz. soy wax candle: Citrus Sunrise
~Glass apothecary bottle set of wooden safety matches
~Bible verse cards (set of 10 cards with journal reflection prompt on the back)
~Journal- “Carried & Loved”
~Heart Shaped Plantable seed paper
~“No Tears In Heaven” Watercolor Hymn print
~Ghirardelli Chocolate Square
~Resource cards of songs & book recommendations for grief and loss
1.) Essential Oil roller- “Calm” Roller Blend made with Young Living Essential Oils: Stress Away blend & coconut oil in a 10ml roller.
2.) Mini dried bouquet handcrafted by @SouthernPlume
3.) Lily Necklace- 14k gold dipped, nickel-free, 16-18” adjustable chain
4.) Book- Grace Like Scarlett: Grieving with Hope after Miscarriage and Loss By Adriel Booker
Why Miscarriage Care Packages?
Each and every one of these items included have been intentionally selected to offer hope and encouragement to a grieving heart. On October 1st, 2016, I had a miscarriage. We decided to name our baby Avery. We grieved and we are still grieving. I remember feeling so heavy-hearted and lonely in that season and I made it my mission in life to help hurting mamas feel loved and seen and cared for as they are aching to hold their babies in Heaven.
On what would have been our baby Avery’s due date, I launched this blog (DueToJoy.com) and over the years have been tremendously honored to hear the stories of your sweet babies in Heaven and see God’s faithfulness in restoring joy and healing places of our hearts that we never thought possible. I discovered that the only way we could get through the unimaginable sorrow is with the support and unconditional love from the God of all comfort. This passage became my anthem.
2 Corinthians 1:3-5 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.”
Who Are the Care Packages For?
This care package is intended for comforting and encouraging a hurting heart that has endured loss.
- Maybe their loss was recent, or maybe some time has passed and you want your friend to know you love them and haven’t forgotten about their precious little one in Heaven.
- To bring comfort on a significant milestone or date such as their baby’s due date or the day they lost their sweet baby
- Maybe you yourself have endured loss, and you are searching for a meaningful way to process through the grief
If you are reading this and you are searching for ways to help love on a friend or loved one who has endured loss, thank you. Thank you for not being afraid to enter into the messy, broken, painful parts of real-life and pushing past your comfort zone to meet needs of others. You are a gift. I can remember distinctly the friendships that have blossomed through my own loss and how their support was completely life-changing. Whether it was their kind words of encouragement, prayer, thoughtful gifts, or just a comforting hug, it was a game-changer. God is using you tremendously.
There are a few mamas who have been the inspiration behind why I decided to curate these care packages. Their lives and their babies lives have forever impacted my heart and ministry and I am so honored to know them. I have had so many close friends endure loss recently and it has just completely broken my heart.
It is a club that you never want to be a part of and you definitely don’t want any new members.
As I sent care packages to these sweet friends, one after the other, I discovered a real need. Friends and family of loss mamas WANT to help. They so deeply desire to show their love and send comfort and intentional care but they just don’t know how. They may be worried they’ll say the wrong thing, so often they don’t say anything at all. Or they may worry that a gift that is centered around remembering their child may trigger all of these feelings of pain and grief. And whether their comfort zones or fears keep them from supporting a loved one, I knew they needed some help. SO that’s what birthed the care package portion of this ministry.
Bible Verse Cards
- Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
- Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not be afraid, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.”
- Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”
- Lamentations 3:20-24 “I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance, therefore, I will hope in him!”
- 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
- Psalm 126:5 “Those who sow with tears will harvest with songs of joy.”
- John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
- Revelations 21:4 “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
- Psalm 56:8 “You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.”
- Deuteronomy 31:8 You are not alone- “Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
Journal - “Carried & Loved”
Journaling was one of the most therapeutic ways I processed through my grief and still to this day have found to much comfort in being able to write what I am unable to say aloud. Write out your prayers, or your raw questions, write out your feelings of confusion. Write letters to your little one. Write letters to your future self. Write it all. And then maybe one day you can go back to this little journal and see how God has moved in your life. It’s my all time favorite way to record all of the tangible reminders of how faithful God has been in my life.
“No Tears In Heaven” Watercolor Hymn
This hymn about out heavenly hope based off Revelation 21:4-5.
Revelation 21:4-5 “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. And He who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also He said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
I remember scrounging around the internet after experiencing our miscarriage searching for resources that would make me feel less alone or would give me some hope that it wouldn’t always feel this heavy. I desperately needed hope. There were so many other women who had gone before me that have walked this road, and it was their stories that made me feel less isolated. (Helpful Blog Posts For Women Who Have Endured Miscarriage)These resource cards included in the care package have a compiled list of songs and book recommendations that have become my go-to resources over the years.
Self Care Goodies
- Ghirardelli milk chocolate caramel - Need I say more?
- Candle & Matches - These candle smell just like the Capri Blue Volcano scent. SOOOO good! On October 15th, International Wave of Light, people around the world light a candle at 7pm in memory of the baby or babies they have lost.
- Essential Oil roller (10 ml size)- “Calm” Roller Blend. Essential Oils: Stress Away Blend, & coconut oil If you’re wondering what this smells like, here’s the description for each of the essential oils used
- Stress Away: Formulated with Lime, Lavender, Cedarwood, and other pure essential oils for a well-rounded and relaxing aroma.
Memorial & Commemorative Items:
- Mini dried bouquet- As beautiful as fresh flowers can be, they inevitably wilt. And something I didn’t realize until I experienced a miscarriage was how triggering flowers wilting and dying could be after loss. That’s precisely why I chose to include dried flower bouquets in these Grief Care Packages so they’ll be longer lasting and still so precious and special.
- Lily Necklace- 14k gold dipped, nickel-free, 16-18” adjustable chain
- Forget-Me-Not flower seeds packet
This Grief Care Package is handcrafted with love by a loss mama dedicated to encouraging others as they walk through the grief and sorrow of pregnancy & infant loss.